Step 11 - Restore in Action
Endpoint Cloud stores backups of the protected data on your activated devices. If data is accidentally deleted on device, you can restore it by downloading it from Endpoint Cloud. You can also restore backups from an old device to a new device.
To Restore files to a device:
- Log on to the device that will receive the backed up data from Endpoint Cloud.
If the device already has the Discovery Agent installed, ignore steps 2 and 3 and continue from step 4.
If you need to restore data to a new device or a device that has not been protected by Endpoint Cloud before, you need to install the Discovery Agent. Continue from step 2.
- Install the Discovery Agent on the device, so that Endpoint Cloud can detect it.
If you need more information, see Install the Discovery Agent.
- In Endpoint Cloud, activate the new device.
If you need more information, see Activate your Devices.Note
Endpoint Cloud uses the Windows user account on the new device to identify which old device is being replaced. It assigns the new device to the same team and profile as the old device automatically.
- In the Windows taskbar, right-click on the Protection Agent icon and select Restore.
- At the top of the Cibecs Agent, choose the device that contained the data that you want to restore. Then choose the appropriate snapshot. A snapshot is a record of a device's data at a specific point in time and you can choose from any of the times shown in the list.
- Choose which files you want to restore. Select the files from the available locations (Desktop, C:\, etc.).
If the Policy has Migration enabled and the Microsoft Windows User Profiles option is selected, you can also restore User Profile data. Select the Profile settings option to restore these settings.
If the Migration feature is disabled, or Microsoft Windows User Profiles is not selected, you can only choose to restore backup data.
- Select Restore.
- Choose the location for the restore files. This is where they will be restored to on your new device. If you choose Original, the files will be recovered to the same location that they had on the old device. Or you can choose a different Specified location if you prefer.
- Select Restore.
The selected data is restored from the vault to your device. If you have chosen desktop files, you will see them appear on the desktop.
If you are restoring backup data and User Profile settings, the restore will complete in two separate phases.
Next: Step 12 - Data Loss Prevention in Action
You can find out about the Endpoint Cloud Restore and Migration features in these articles:
Backups and Encryption - Overview