Restore a Device
You can only restore user data and profile information if a backup of the user data has been made in Endpoint Cloud.
If Endpoint Cloud has backups of the data on protected machines, you can restore them at any time. Typically, you would use the restore feature if:
- You have accidentally deleted a protected file and want to add it back to your device
- You have a new device and you want to download the protected data that was previously on a different device. For example, if you are replacing an old laptop, you can use Restore to add the protected files from the old laptop to the new laptop.
If the Policy has Migration enabled and the Microsoft Windows User Profiles option is selected, you can also restore User Profile settings.
If you are setting up a new device, you can also use Restore to migrate the user profile settings.
To Restore files to a device:
- Log on to the device that will receive the backed up data from Endpoint Cloud.
If the device already has the Discovery Agent installed, ignore steps 2 and 3 and continue from step 4.
If you need to restore data to a new device or a device that has not been protected by Endpoint Cloud before, you need to install the Discovery Agent. Continue from step 2.
- Install the Discovery Agent on the device, so that Endpoint Cloud can detect it.
If you need more information, see Installing & Deploying the Discovery Agent.
- In Endpoint Cloud, activate the new device.
If you need more information, see Activating your Devices.Note
Endpoint Cloud uses the Windows user account on the new device to identify which old device is being replaced. It assigns the new device to the same team and profile as the old device automatically.
- In the Windows system tray, right-click on the Protection Agent icon and select Restore.
- At the top of the Cibecs Agent, choose the device and associated snapshot that you want to migrate to the new device. The snapshot is a record of a device's data at a specific point in time and you can choose from any of the times shown in the list.
- Choose which files you want to restore. You can choose All Folders & Files, all Desktop files, all Documents, or all files on the volumes (drives). Alternatively, you can select individual files.
If the Policy has Migration enabled and the Microsoft Windows User Profiles option is selected, you can also restore User Profile data. Select the Profile settings option to restore these settings.
If the Migration feature is disabled, or Microsoft Windows User Profiles is not selected, you can only choose to restore backup data.
- Select Restore.
- Choose the restore location for the files. If you choose Original, the files will be loaded to the same location that they had on the old device. Or you can choose a different Specified location if you prefer.
- Select Restore.
The selected data is downloaded from Endpoint Cloud to your device. If you have chosen desktop files, you will see them appear on the desktop.
If you are restoring backup data and User Profile settings, the restore will complete in two separate phases.