Migrate User Profile Data to a New Device
If you have enabled migration on a Policy, you can use Restore to transfer the Windows User Profile data (and backup data) from an old device to a new device (via Endpoint Cloud).
You can only restore the user profile data from another device if migration is enabled and the "old" device has been backed up. To learn how to enable the migration feature, see Enable the Migration Feature.
To Restore files to a device:
- Log on to the new device.
If the device already has the Discovery Agent installed, ignore steps 2 and 3 and continue from step 4.
If you need to restore data to a new device or a device that has not been protected by Endpoint Cloud before, you need to install the Discovery Agent. Continue from step 2.
- Install the Discovery Agent on the device, so that Endpoint Cloud can detect it.
If you need more information, see Installing & Deploying the Discovery Agent.
- In Endpoint Cloud, activate the new device.
If you need more information, see Activating your Devices.Note
Endpoint Cloud uses the Windows user account on the new device to identify which old device is being replaced. It automatically assigns the new device to the same Team and Profile as the old device.
- In the Windows taskbar, right-click on the Protection Agent icon and select Restore.
If the Protection Agent icon is not shown, search for the Cibecs Agent application on your device and then run it.
- Choose the data you want to migrate, and the location for the migrated data.
- Use the Devices option to choose the "old" device that has the data you want to migrate to the "new" device.
- Use the Snapshots option to choose the snapshot you want to migrate to the new device. The snapshot is a record of a device's data at a specific point in time. In most cases, you will want to select the most recent snapshot.
- Use the Restore check boxes to choose the data that will be migrated. Select all of the data you want to restore and also the Profile Settings (Windows user profile).
- Click Restore.
- Choose Restore Location for the migrated data on the new device. You can choose Original to migrate the data to the same location that it had on the old device or choose Specified to set a different location.
- Click Restore.
The selected user data and profile information is downloaded from Endpoint Cloud to your new device. If you have chosen desktop files, you will see them appear on the desktop.